We had really hot weather two weeks ago and we went away for the weekend, coming back to a garden loaded with things to harvest. This past week has been cooler, but everything is still producing.
- The green beans are nearly done (second planting is coming along). Lots of bean leaf beetles on them.
- Blackraspberries are done (such a short season).
- The blueberries are still producing strong.
- I am harvesting cucumbers everyday, but have yet to can pickles. I love having them in the winter, but we do eat a lot of fresh cucumbers – in salads, mainly. I have not had quite enough to pickle – maybe next week.
- The first tomatoes were harvested (and eaten quickly). No more have ripened since, and I’m thinking its because of the cooler weather this week.
- The winter squash and watermelons are taking over the garden. I’ve seen on ripe butternut already, which seems way to early, but probably not.
- The potatoes are delicious. I’ve harvested some of three varieties One variety of red potato has lots of scab and so is not very pretty. The fingerlings have been wonderful – as have the Kennebecks (my favorite, I think).
- We are also harvesting mulberries, but only a few at a time – which either get eaten all up, or go in the freezer with blueberries or black raspberries. The kids love to eat them (and climb the tree to harvest them). They will keep going for a while.
- The first zinnias have been picked (dalias, too). The yarrow and alliums and dill are so pretty together.
I’ve definitely got some weeds (mostly grass weeds, which I hate most). And, my 2nd beet planting failed. I think I will try again in August when I do the fall planting. I would love to have some more beets, since I think I only harvested 3 or 4.
What’s going on in your garden?