I have a few sewn things that I finished over the last few weeks. I haven’t posted about them yet, but will do them all now.
First, I made a pair of jeans! I have been planning to make jeans for about a year, when last May I decided to try it. I bought a Craftsy course by Angela Wolf (after hearing a podcast interview with her) about how to make jeans. I bought her pattern sometime around Christmas, as well as the denim she recommended. Finally, in March I started tracing and cutting out the pattern, then making a muslin. The first muslin I made, I was having to make so many adjustments that I realized that if I made the jeans 2 sizes smaller, I would have fewer problems. So, with a smaller size, and only a few adjustments, the muslin fit pretty well. Then, I started on the jeans in denim. They were much easier than I thought they would be – and actually a lot of fun. A bit of a puzzle with lots of room for artistry (not that I could put much art in mine at this point). The top stitching was fun and a good practice. I used two spools of thread, twisted, to make the thread thick enough – and increased tension a bit. Next time, I will use a top stitching thread. I forgot to use stabilizer when I was top stitching the pockets, so they don’t look as good as they should. I also was not totally pleased with the fabric. It was too thin and too stretchy. It has 3% Lycra, I think. Next time I will choose a thicker denim with a little less Lycra (and I may have found that fabric at a local fabric store). Also, the pocket linings did not go far enough down to look right. The lining sticks out a bit. Anyway, despite these problems, the jeans fit and they are very comfortable. I used two buttons from my grandmother’s collection on these.
Next, I made Evva a sweatshirt that matches (or goes with) the one I made for Anne a few months ago (I must not have posted it – her’s is black French terry with the mustangs in teal and off-white) – mustangs with an organic cotton knit fabric. Oliver + S pattern. You can’t see it in the pictures, but there is a front pocket that is a neat detail. Evva loves it.
Finally, I made shorts for each of the girls and myself. I love this pattern from Purlbee. It is easy and the shorts are cute and comfortable. Also, I used a bias tape maker I got from Purl Soho which makes bias tape making SO MUCH easier. I love it!