Tag Archives: dress

lately made

I have completed a few sewing and knitting projects in the last few weeks.  One was the lap blanket that I have been working on for quite a few months now.  A row or two whenever I got a chance was how it got done.  It is just what I wanted it to be.  Perfect size for pulling over your lap to read or watch a movie.  Perfect size to pull over little ones when they are sick and laying on the couch – and we had a lot of that this last week (luckily everyone is well or nearly well at this point).  This blanket has a great weight to it.  It is heavy, but made with a cotton linen blend that is warm, but not too warm.  I love the colors too: brown (from walnut shells), yellow (marigolds), natural, light green (goldenrod).  I just hope the colors have set well because this blanket will need to be washed fairly often, I predict – which means it is getting used and loved.  Just what I hoped.

008

023

I also made Anne a quick Easter dress the day before Easter.  I had a simple pattern by Figgy and some printed cotton voile and pink cotton twill in my stash – perfect for this dress.  Anne loved it, but it was a little cool on Easter morn to be sleeveless.  This dress will last all summer, though, and I love the print.  Thinking of what to make myself with that fabric . . .

007

010

And, I did make something for myself from the green linen I bought last year.  Watching spring emerge, and the indescribable green that the grass becomes this time of year, made me remember why I was attracted to that vibrant linen which I bought this time last year.  I am sure I bought it because it is the color of spring grass, which to me is a color of life.  Beautiful.

I envisioned a button up short sleeve shirt that I could wear all summer.  Linen would be perfect for this type of shirt and that green in a shirt will not overpower.   I went first to my grandmother’s patterns and found one that I thought would work.  I made a muslin, a few adjustments, and sewed up my first button up shirt.  I was easier than I thought it would be – even all those button holes, I found kind of fun to make.  I wore it on my birthday and am very happy with it.

001

003

Next project is jeans!  I have the pattern pieces cut out, but have been too tired every night since I cut them out to do anything with them.  I am also planning to participate in Kids Clothes Week again – next week.  I am planning a few things.  Thinking about t-shirt dresses for the girls, something for Hythe (because I think he felt a little left out when he realized I made the girls new dresses for Easter, but nothing for him), and something for Steven from that lightning bolt fabric  (he keeps asking about it).  If anyone is interested in sewing for children, you should check out Kids Clothes Week.  They have a huge listing of patterns, tutorials, ideas, fabrics, etc. that are great resources and inspiration.

 

this dress

002

004

I made this dress for Evva for her 8th birthday last week, finishing it up just before bed the night before.  I used the Oliver + S Croquet Dress pattern and a beautiful green linen.  I bought 6 (six!) yards of this green linen on a whim when a wonderful local fabric store was closing down last year.  I had a thought to make a dress with a matching jacket for myself out of it.  But, then, at home I realized I would be wearing close to 6 yards of green. Though the color is beautiful (and why I bought it), I thought it would be far too much green on me at that point.  And, green really isn’t my color, at least in those quantities.  In this dress for Evva, though, it is perfect.  And, now I want to make myself (finally) something from that green linen.  But, what? (suggestions welcome)

Anyway, a few weeks ago, I also broke down and bought a few half yards of some Liberty of London prints.  Good grief, they are expensive (hence the 1/2 yards)!  But, so utterly gorgeous.  I used one of the prints to make the belt, bow, and waistband on Evva’s dress.  It worked perfectly with the green linen.  The waistband and bow were cut on the bias, so I was very careful how to be conservative with the fabric.  I had to sew two strips together for the waistband, but it worked out well.  The other slight challenge with this dress was that Evva is so thin that she measured a size 5 for the dress.  I cut out a size 6, but when she tried it on, it was quite short – then, I remembered, she is tall and thin and not just thin.  So, I cut a 5 inch cuff to sew onto the bottom of the dress to give it a bit more length.  This actually improved the look of the dress as well.  I kind of wish I had one of these dresses myself.  She loves it and you can tell it is comfortable, light, and easy to wear, when she has it on.   And, I love that I can make her a special dress for her birthday (that she likes, too!).

005